It is common for breast cancer treatment to affect your skin. Your complexion may change and your skin may become dry, sensitive, sore and irritated. These issues often become worse during summer as your skin may become more sensitive to the sun.
Here are some top tips on how to care for your skin during breast cancer treatment and hot weather:
- Use products that are gentle, hydrating, and hypoallergenic.
- Avoid soap, perfumed products and products containing alcohol.
- Gently cleanse your face, trying not to rub or drag your skin.
- Use a moisturiser at least once a day.
- For oily skin, use a wash-off cleanser followed by oil-free moisturiser.
- Use foundations, bronzers and green-tinted primers to control changes in skin tone.
- Protect yourself against the sun. You may need to use a higher factor sunscreen than you normally would.
- Avoid scratching or wet-shaving your skin and trim nails short so that you don’t accidentally scratch yourself.
- Keep your showers short and not too hot. Long, steamy showers might feel therapeutic, but they can strip stressed skin of its protective lipid barrier.